Translate

September 29, 2010

Young Life in Rwanda

Today was a great day.  First thing this morning, I finally received a care package my parents sent me!  It was glorious :)  It was filled with some really good junk food... "all of my favorite things" according to my loving parents.  I was so excited to have gotten mail from loved ones! The excitement carried on into the rest of my day.  My students were great!  Lessons went awesome!  Today was also my sister's birthday! WAHOOOO! And today we started Campaigners! 

I was excited about a lot of things today, as you can tell by all my exclamations, but maybe the most exciting part of my day was sharing the vision of Young Life with 4 senior girls at KICS.  I take that back.  The most exciting part was hearing the response from these 4 seniors girls after sharing the vision of Young Life with them!  They are already leaders at KICS being seniors and solid Christian women.  But with Young Life club waiting to be started, they have a new focus in gaining relationships with their peers for the purpose of sharing Christ's love through YL.  I was amazed at the maturity of these girls and at the way their eyes twinkled at the thought of being disciples of Christ at their school.  Not that they weren't already disciples... but now this new vision adds a twinge of accountability and teamwork to the mix.  It's one thing to follow Jesus on your own, for your own purposes.  It's another thing to follow Jesus with a mindset and goal to introduce a specific group of people to Him.  My faith strengthened abundantly when I became a Young Life leader because I couldn't just slack on my relationship with God since I was partnering with Him to bring others to the way, the truth, and the life! 

Sometimes I wonder if God brought me to Rwanda to teach art.... or to start YoungLife at KICS.  I mean, it's God, so I pretty sure he brought me here to do both :)  but I know that my heart beats a tad faster at the thought of God using Young Life to bring kids to Jesus in Rwanda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment