Translate

September 5, 2010

Lion King in the flesh

KICS PICS 066About a year or so ago, I remember talking to someone about how I would love to go on a safari someday, but had no idea how that would ever happen in my life.  First of all… coming to Africa always seemed a bit far fetched.  But, I’m here.  And going on a safari seemed like something I’d only be able to do if I made big money… which I don’t.  But, I went!  A dad of a few students from the school I work at offered to take a bunch of us teachers to a safari this last Saturday in eastern Rwanda.  We went to the Akagera National Park and it was so unbelievable.  I was so amazed at what I was seeing… zebras, baboons, impalas, water bucks. giraffes, huge birds, cape buffalo.  I saw them all.  We were in a jeep filled with 12 people and drove right up to the animals; close enough to get a good picture of them!  After a while, a few of us hopped on top of the jeep to ride and take pictures.  It brightened up the scenery as we entered a huge vast field filled with different types of mammals.  Amazing.  God is so creative.  We got super close to some zebras and a few giraffes.  They are so beautiful!  We had a picnic right in the midst of all God’s creation and enjoyed every minute.  Up until now, I believe the Lion King is about as much knowledge as I had of this extreme wildlife.  

KICS PICS 130Sometimes I can’t believe how BIG God proves to be.  I live my life in a hurry to get to the “good” parts but I forget to stop and see how God has created and formed everything that is good around me.  There is a whole other world over here in Rwanda!  One so different from what I’m used to, but look at the artistry only 3 hours away from where I live!  How could I be so naive to say, “Today is just another day”?  Today is not just another day… it’s a day filled with possibilities because it was created by the same God who crafted the giraffe, the zebra, and me.  It’s a day to rejoice over a relationship with the same God who formed the earth with His fingertips!  It’s a day to be humbled by the ultimate holiness demonstrated by our God who humbled himself to become a slave and die for our sins!  It’s not just another day.  It’s a blessed day in which I am grateful to have.  

KICS PICS 101

While walking through a field covered with exotic wildlife, I realized just how small and insignificant I am.  So often I think this life I live is about me.  Life keeps going on all around me, and yet I can only think about myself and my needs.   I am so wrong to think I was created to serve myself!  Even more, although I am small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things… I am still loved by my God.  He finds pleasure in me because he created me.  I can’t believe it!  I’m just this little girl in a big huge world, but I have a Heavenly Father who is crazy about me :) 

3 comments:

  1. Amen sista! You are so wise...thanks for sharing your insights! LOVE LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great gift for writing. Thanks for the wisdom and truth in this post about how much crazy love our God has for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micki great read. Thanks for sharing from your heart, and that 'each day is not just another day'. Thank you Micki.

    -James R.

    ReplyDelete