Translate

September 5, 2010

Things operate a little differently on this continent

Today was a great day :)  We had a half day because teachers had an accredication meeting after school.  To make matters even more exciting, we found out halfway through the day that Monday is being declared a holiday since its the inauguration in Rwanda.... therefore we won't have school!  So today, I found out that I have a long weekend just like everyone back home!  Not for Labor Day, but all the more, a day off.  There are also rumors that Tuesday and Wednesday of next week could potentially be declared a holiday as well because of a Muslim celebration... something to do with the moon.  Things operate a little differently here in Rwanda. 

Tonight a couple other girls and I went into town for the first time without any veteran teachers with us.  We had to negotiate prices with the moto taxi drivers and navigate our way around downtown without anyone leading us.  Baby steps.  We met up with a bunch of people downtown to go out to eat with... where we ended up in a restaurant that was having a magazine opening event, in which we felt very awkward talking during a power point slide show this woman was giving.  However, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was coffeehouse-esque.  On the way back home, we packed 12 people into a 5 seater SUV... with 5 of us in the trunk.  I'm telling you, things just operate differently here :)  It was either that, or each of us get a moto at night, which I think is even scarier.  We made it home safely and all is well. 

One of the places that has become a comfort atmosphere for me and the other teachers is a restaurant called Bourbon Coffee.  It is a place where buzungu (white people) hang out and has awesome coffee drinks, ice cream, good food, and comfy chairs.  Here is a picture of the view from this restaurant:


Rwanda is so beautiful.  My photos really don't do it justice.  Although things operate differently here, I am learning to really appreciate these things and to trust God even when I may not trust the situations I'm in.  It's easy to trust God when everything around me is familiar and comfortable.  But, let me tell you, there is a lot of uncomfortable around me, and I love it.  I'm excited that God has put me in a position where I don't know a whole lot, but I know one thing:  That God is faithful and loves me and cares for me even when I'm in a storm of uncertainty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment