Translate

April 27, 2010

Kigali International Community School

Before I left for Rwanda, I emailed the KICS to see if I could meet with the principal, you know, while I was in the "neighborhood". He emailed me back saying, "That would be great, especially in light of our need for an art teacher for next year"!!! So, about the 3rd day I was in Kigali, I went over to the school and was amazed by the atmosphere. It was not really like the other parts of the city. It seriously looked like a building from the US in a neighborhood from the US. The streets were paved, which is a rarity throughout the city, and they were brick buildings, which is not seen anywhere else. And besides that, everyone who teaches in this school is either from the US, Canada, or GB. It was like a tiny taste of home while being across the world in a foreign place.

I had a casual interview with the headmaster of the school and he showed me around and looked at my portfolio and asked me real good questions like, "why are you here?" We only had a limited time to meet on that day, so he asked for me to come back the next day. I did, and we had a more formal interview that day. I exchanged email addresses with a teacher there from the US to ask her questions about what it's like to teach there and live in the city of Kigali.


When I got back from Rwanda, I was so excited about the possibility of teaching at KICS as an art teacher K-5 and some art electives for the Secondary students, grades 6-12. As time went on, and I didn't hear back from them, I became more and more anxious about this not working out as I thought it would. I still have not heard if I have the job... but it is still a possibility since they have just now started contacting my references.

I would appreciate prayers concerning whether or not God would have me teach in Rwanda for the next two years of my life. I have mixed feelings about it because I have other tentative opportunities here in Indiana. Prayers would be so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment