Translate

February 20, 2011

God’s Gifts in Young Life

It’s fun to see how God gives us each different gifts to use for unique purposes in His BIG PICTURE plan.  I’m learning more and more that my passion for youth ministry and my love for games and acting a bit silly are actually divine gifts from God.  When I was telling the KICS Headmaster about what we did at the Young Life Crud War event, he commented about how it amazes him that God brings all sorts of people to teach at KICS who all specialize in different areas of ministry.  He also said he is not wired to do “that kind of stuff” referring to organizing and orchestrating a war where kids throw “crud” at each other.  I, on the other hand, feel at home when there’s a lot of screaming and kids running about throwing flour bombs and eggs at each other.  That sentence sounds sarcastic, but I am totally serious!

At this Crud War, we didn’t talk about Young Life.  Being the first event Young Life hosted at KICS, you’d think maybe we’d put a plug in about what YL will look like week to week, but instead we showed them the fun they can expect.  At the Crud War, we didn’t talk about Jesus either.  74 kids showed up; was that a lost opportunity to share about God’s grace?  We may have not said Jesus’ name, but we made sure every kid was accounted for and included, sharing the love of Christ with them.  I heard from a few students that some kids at KICS believe that God doesn’t want us to have fun.  I totally remember feeling that way, never being able to allow God to be a part of the fun.  I’m certainly glad I don’t buy into that lie anymore! 

The latest with YoungLife is that we had our first club last Wednesday!  Holllaaaaaa!  It wasn’t as packed as the Crud War; however the kids that were there were talking it up at school the next day.  We had some kids show up right after the talk at the end… and so we ended with a dance party where kids tried to teach me how to "jerk”.  I’m horrible at it, but they thought it was hilarious that their art teacher was trying to learn these hip dance moves when I have no rhythm whatsoever.  Here’s some pictures from our first Club!

100_3245

Kids at YL Club during the talk at the end

100_3206

Matt & I did a skit… yes, I am putting jam on my arm

100_3198

Love how into they are!

100_3233

One of our high school leaders playing his one-stringed guitar Smile

Club went so well… the only issue we had was that we had it at a students house and a lot of kids couldn’t come because it wasn’t at the school.  So, after next week, we are going to be having club right at school!  After club, the rest of the week at school, I sensed Satan was trying to tear me down.  I was exhausted and overwhelmed and not to mention STRESSED.  It must be something God really wants to happen if Satan feels threatened enough to attack over it.  I know our 5 high school leaders have been just as exhausted, so prayers for all of us to continue to be motivated in Christ to stand firm in this mission are much needed!  Thanks!  I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment